THE MCBEE WINE BLOG DIARY

My mother, Camille McBee, partnered with Bobby G. Smith, Winemaker, in North Texas for over 30 years. Together they worked to develop a National and International name for Texas Wines. In 2009 she passed away too young, but she left behind a Texas Wine Industry that was better because of her dedication and she left a family with a deep rooted love and appreciation for wine and entertaining. This blog serves as a diary of my adventures in wine and as a lasting toast to my mother. -Cheers!

This blog is NOT intended to be the authority on tasting notes, or a professional guide for wine experts; it's simply a place for me to share some of my opinions and findings about wine with my friends and other wine lovers.

I truly hope you will use this blog to help you the next time you are thinking about what to buy at the wine store or deciding what to order at a local restaurant or when you travel to the wine country. ENJOY!

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

White Buffalo Club in Jackson, WY

January 18, 2012: Had dinner with Meredith and her brothers Phillip and Porter.   It was a slow night in the restaurant which turned out to be lucky for us. We had the opportunity to sit and visit not only with the onsite wine consultant, but also with the chef, Will Gahagan.   The steaks were great and their scallops were exceptional and the service exceptional - thanks to Chris Dick.  



 THE WINE: We were trying to make a reasonable selection and had that conversation with the waiter and he suggested we bring in their wine guy.  We discussed all the usual suspects, Groth, J Phelps, Jordan... But the resident wine consultant, Jason Budd, was pounding the table on a bottle of "Pirouette" from Walla Walla Valley in Washington.   It was priced a almost half the price of the other options under discussion, but he assured me that I would not be disappointed.  I dont have a lot of experience with Washington State wines, other than some Pinot Noirs and some Chardonays that I have had in the past.      All I can say is the man was dead on. This was a superb bottle for the money.   After returning home I looked this bottle up and now it makes more sense; this is a creation of Napa Valley celebrated vintners Philippe Melka (Vineyard 29, Hundred Acre, among others) and Agustin Huneeus Sr. (Quintessa) joined with Long Shadows founder Allen Shoup.   Thanks Jason for opening my eyes to the Walla Walla of Reds.    For my readers if you hit JH this year eat at the White Buffalo and if you eat there, don't miss this wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment