THE MCBEE WINE BLOG DIARY

My mother, Camille McBee, partnered with Bobby G. Smith, Winemaker, in North Texas for over 30 years. Together they worked to develop a National and International name for Texas Wines. In 2009 she passed away too young, but she left behind a Texas Wine Industry that was better because of her dedication and she left a family with a deep rooted love and appreciation for wine and entertaining. This blog serves as a diary of my adventures in wine and as a lasting toast to my mother. -Cheers!

This blog is NOT intended to be the authority on tasting notes, or a professional guide for wine experts; it's simply a place for me to share some of my opinions and findings about wine with my friends and other wine lovers.

I truly hope you will use this blog to help you the next time you are thinking about what to buy at the wine store or deciding what to order at a local restaurant or when you travel to the wine country. ENJOY!

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Trip to St. Louis - Bar at Ruth's Chris

In St. Louis tonight on Business.   Staying at the Hyatt Regency at the Arch and there is a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in the lobby, so I ventured down for an early dinner at the bar.  This is a really special restaurant; the atmosphere is very hip and the views of the St. Louis Arch are amazing as you are literally seated at the base of the massive structure.   I was greeted by the bartender, Katy, who took great care of me.   I looked over the wine list and settled on a 2007 Faust Cabernet for my dinner.   Faust is a Napa Wine made by winemaker Agustin Huneeus, who is best known for creating Quintessa, one of my most favorites.    I was introduced to Qunitessa back in 2002 by my good friend Mike Edwards, from Lubbock Texas.  


The Steak was perfect.   And after talking to Katy about wine all night she insisted that we try some of the other wines.  She said she would pour me some tastings and suggested I try a 2008 Murrieta's Well - The Spur Mertiage.   I looked this wine up after dinner and was really surprised that it is under $20 in the store.   It was great.   A really well balanced blend with a lot of body, even following the earlier Cab.  P.J. is the beverage manager in the restaurant and before we were done her was in on the fun.    He poured me a taste of the 2008 Argyle Reserve Pinot Noir from Willamette Valley, where some of the great Pinots are born.    I have had the 2007 non-reserve from Argyle and was not expecting great things, but it was pretty good.   Not too earthy and well balanced.   Although i have to admit, it is hard to taste a pinot noir after the Faust Cab.

Bottom line is that this Ruth's Chris Steakhouse here at the Arch is great; great atmosphere, great food and really, really great staff.    It was great hanging out tonight.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. “Great read! Another good place for wine in St. Louis is Sunset 44 Bistro They carry a selection of over 200 wines all chosen by a wine expert. I took my wife there last week for our anniversary and she loved it. Check them out next time you're in town. Would love to hear your thoughts!”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dexter, I will check it out. I will be back in a few months. Any recomendations on the wine list?

    ReplyDelete