THE MCBEE WINE BLOG DIARY

My mother, Camille McBee, partnered with Bobby G. Smith, Winemaker, in North Texas for over 30 years. Together they worked to develop a National and International name for Texas Wines. In 2009 she passed away too young, but she left behind a Texas Wine Industry that was better because of her dedication and she left a family with a deep rooted love and appreciation for wine and entertaining. This blog serves as a diary of my adventures in wine and as a lasting toast to my mother. -Cheers!

This blog is NOT intended to be the authority on tasting notes, or a professional guide for wine experts; it's simply a place for me to share some of my opinions and findings about wine with my friends and other wine lovers.

I truly hope you will use this blog to help you the next time you are thinking about what to buy at the wine store or deciding what to order at a local restaurant or when you travel to the wine country. ENJOY!

Sunday, May 13, 2018

Dallas’ Al Berniet's North

I was able to visit the new Al Berniet’s North this weekend.  Both brother-in-laws were in town for Mother’s Day, but it was just the boys Friday night, so we decided to try out Dallas’ newest steakhouse, but one that bears an old name.  I think they did a really great job on the renovation. So many of us enjoyed the Del Frisco’s location for years, so it was really cool seeing it reborn under a new name. Food, service and the Somm, all great, great job!!   So, Ill get to the point... the wine.  Wine list was extensive, with many of the usual suspects, but there were 5-10 pretty unique Napa names to look over. I gave the sommelier a couple of wines I was considering, but as usual, i wanted to try something and was open to suggestion.  He suggested the 2014 La Jota Vineyards, Howell Mountain Cabernet. I was familiar with this label, but had not had the wine before. They priced the wine at $165, which is a bit higher than I like to spend at dinner, as I am generally looking for the best value on the menu. However, this wine is sold for just under $100, so the markup seemed reasonable and I wanted to try the wine.  Brother-in-law, Porter, also eager to split, so it made this the right choice. The wine was great, lots of black cherry and berries, with a bit of smoke, mild oak and a soft finish.  Perfect temperature on the wine as well, thanks to the wine team at Al Berniet’s. Next time you visit, considering the wine, and the value to retail - I suggest this one.  A really good dinner at the new Al’s,  paired with good company and a great wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment